Monday, March 14, 2011

Different continent, same girls

I got up this morning before sunrise and ate a mango for breakfast.  Then I drank some tea, and said prayers with Valerie, Maryam, and Rosita, and took a shower in a bathroom with turquoise walls.

Everything is colorful here.  Everything is also in Spanish.

The good part is that I actually absorbed some of my high school Spanish, and if I concentrate really hard I can figure out what's going on.  The bad part is that I'm not very good at concentrating hard, and I can't really speak Spanish back to anyone.

So, hi.  If you didn't know, I'm in Otavalo, Ecuador visiting Valerie, who's living here for a nine month period of Baha'i service.

Today I went to the school Valerie teaches at.  She introduced me to her students, wherein they had to practice introducing themselves to me in English.  I helped her segundo students color and they hugged me a lot.  And I pushed her prebasica students on the swings, and played hide and go seek with them.

Then we came back to the place where Valerie and Maryam live.  Since it was raining, Val and I decided that watching old movies starring Johnny Depp would be a good way to pass the time until sunset when we'll break fast.

Different continent, same girls.

2 comments:

  1. I would venture a guess that the two of you are having the time of your lives :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ventured guess would be correct.

    ReplyDelete