My least favorite market woman is an old, grumpy German woman. When I ask her how much raspberries are, she tells me €2, even though €1.50 is written right next to the berries. And once, when I tried to buy basil from her, she kept talking to me in indecipherable Italian, and eventually took the basil and put it somewhere else so I could not buy it.
I ended up buying basil from a man who is now my second favorite basil selling vendor. My first favorite basil selling vendor is out of basil a lot.
My favorite market man sells me peaches and sometimes strawberries, when he has them. He's a middle-aged Indian man, and I point at the strawberries, and say "Cuanto cuesta?" And then he tells me €1.50, and I tell him no, €1, and he says €1.25. We go back and forth, and I don't always know what is happening because my Italian is molto male. And I probably pay too much for my strawberries, but I feel better about it in the end.
Sometimes, my favorite market man smiles really wide and gives me a little banana for free.
I ended up buying basil from a man who is now my second favorite basil selling vendor. My first favorite basil selling vendor is out of basil a lot.
My favorite market man sells me peaches and sometimes strawberries, when he has them. He's a middle-aged Indian man, and I point at the strawberries, and say "Cuanto cuesta?" And then he tells me €1.50, and I tell him no, €1, and he says €1.25. We go back and forth, and I don't always know what is happening because my Italian is molto male. And I probably pay too much for my strawberries, but I feel better about it in the end.
Sometimes, my favorite market man smiles really wide and gives me a little banana for free.
SO FRIKIN JEALOUS.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting blog.
ReplyDeleteI did not know the prices were negotiable!