We took a different route than normal on the bus ride home from school today. There were a new group of students being dropped off on the tops of hills that afforded a particularly spectacular view of a monochromatic city and a polychromatic sunset. I have never been one to think manmade things are beautiful, but Amman is a beautiful city.
There are moments in my life here that I want to freeze as perfect memories forever. Speeding through Amman streets blasting techno, eating shawerma on top of the city, being wrapped up in blankets on a hill overlooking millions of twinkling lights.
There is nothing quite so fun as hanging out with Arab boys who want to race everyone they meet at a stoplight in their white Honda Accords. Nothing quite like shivering in the cold desert nights listening to others explain the metaphorical resonances of their favorite color. Nothing quite like a bright pink sun setting over a beige city.
I love the way I fit into Amman so awkwardly and foreign and welcome into this Arab melting pot of a country. I love the 35 fil falafels for lunch, and the woman at the snack stand behind the university who explains to me what everything on the menu is. I love the warm smiles from women, and the way Shmeisani is spelled 7 different ways in English around my neighborhood. I love this city, this culture, this country, this corner of the world.
There are moments in my life here that I want to freeze as perfect memories forever. Speeding through Amman streets blasting techno, eating shawerma on top of the city, being wrapped up in blankets on a hill overlooking millions of twinkling lights.
There is nothing quite so fun as hanging out with Arab boys who want to race everyone they meet at a stoplight in their white Honda Accords. Nothing quite like shivering in the cold desert nights listening to others explain the metaphorical resonances of their favorite color. Nothing quite like a bright pink sun setting over a beige city.
I love the way I fit into Amman so awkwardly and foreign and welcome into this Arab melting pot of a country. I love the 35 fil falafels for lunch, and the woman at the snack stand behind the university who explains to me what everything on the menu is. I love the warm smiles from women, and the way Shmeisani is spelled 7 different ways in English around my neighborhood. I love this city, this culture, this country, this corner of the world.
Shawerma on top of the city - now that is no. 1 on my list, especially if they made it with tempe or tofu! *
ReplyDeleteThis is perfect. Couldn't agree more.
ReplyDeleteSo...what are the metaphorical resonances of your favorite color?
ReplyDelete