Friday, January 13, 2012

Visiting Haifa

On our travels, Valerie and I had the blessing to visit the Baha'i World Centre in Haifa, Israel.  And it was wonderful!  Even though we were only there for a short time, I went away feeling radiant.

Earlier this week wasn't the first time I was ever in Haifa though.  The picture on the left was taken when I was four years old, and my family went to go visit my Grandma who was working at the World Centre at the time.

Being a Baha'i is this huge monumental part of who I am, and it always has been.  I mean, my parents met because of the Faith, so without I wouldn't even exist!  Not to mention every single Sunday of my childhood that was spent driving back and forth to Baha'i school (sometimes a really long drive) or every Baha'i book night at home or going through intensives during high school or years and years of attending feast.

I think one of the things I miss most this year is living in a place with a decent sized Baha'i community.  There aren't that many Baha'is in Florence and only one other youth (who I've only met once).  So seeing Valerie and getting to go Haifa was completely wonderful.  Even though three days in Haifa is far, far, far too short.

I don't talk about religion that much on this blog.  But one of my goals for this new year and new semester is to write more about faith.  And also to read a Baha'i book and remember to say my obligatory prayers on a more consistent basis and learn all the names of the members of the Universal House of Justice and also the American National Spiritual Assembly and in general to understand Baha'i administration better.


I bear witness that he who hath known Thee hath known God, and he who hath attained unto Thy presence hath attained unto the presence of God.  Great, therefore, is the blessedness of him who hath believed in Thee, and in Thy signs, and hath humbled himself before Thy sovereignty, and hath been honoured with meeting Thee, and hath attained the good pleasure of Thy will, and circled around Thee, and stood before Thy throne.
- Bahá'u'lláh

3 comments:

  1. Elika! I really enjoyed this post. I too, made a goal to talk about religion more on my blog. I think mostly I don't do it because I'm afraid I'll offend someone because of all the anti-Mormonism and false beliefs about my religion out there, but it's like you said. My faith is who I am. Also it's my blog so I don't care haha. That being said, I would also like to point out that I would love to learn more about the Baha'i faith from a practicing Baha'i! (I hate it when people get information of a particular religion from a non/ex-member or a non-practicing member... where is the logic in that?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Li-Sha! If you blog more about Mormonism, I will definitely read it :)

      Delete
  2. Total concurrence with everything said! Also, I MISS YOU

    ReplyDelete