Thursday, August 4, 2011

Irrelevant appearance

Yesterday I was assessing the state of my hair in the bathroom mirror when Cleo said “Man, imagine what it’ll be like to go back home and actually worry about what your reflection looks like.”

Living in Coldfoot is a little bit like living in a land with no mirrors.  In the dark.  There's no reason to brush your hair, no reason to worry about the 14 bleach spots on your work shirt, no reason to feel self conscious about walking into the cafe with your pajamas on.

When I went back to Fairbanks, a guy I knew took one look at me and asked rather incredulously “Are those cargo pants?"

Every single article of clothing I have up here can fit into one load of wash.  And it's all tshirts, cargo pants, and wool socks.

Stephanie and I have daily conversations about the irregularity at which we wash our hair (weekly for her, biweekly for me) and how when we put on mascara (which has been about four times between the two of us all summer) we don’t recognize our reflections.

To be honest, I'm at the point where I find the uniform black rainboots in the shed kind of-at least a little bit-cute.

3 comments:

  1. Appearances - clothes, make-up, etc. - are grossly overrated.

    I'm glad you had a summer where you experienced this as true.

    You had fun, were happy, and didn't have to look like a beauty pagent contestant all the time.

    Right on, sister !!!

    {:~))

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say!?! You are a fashionista and your clothes are very popular -- in Coldfoot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rainboots are always cute :) and this way, when you get back, its super exciting to have all these clothes and putting together outfits is the most exciting part of your day (but not really). When I got back from Ecuador (and my wardrobe quadrupled) I changed clothes 4 times a day!

    ReplyDelete