Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Home, home, home.

This morning I woke up to my roommate telling me classes were cancelled because of freezing rain.

This is the first time it's rained in Fairbanks in November since 1937.  And while I'm generally opposed to global warming, I am not opposed to warm weather.  Or classes being cancelled because of treacherous road conditions.  Or snowball fights breaking out halfway between the freshmen dorms because hey, we're not in class.  Or spending my afternoons learning how to swing dance instead of learning how to make reeds.  Or going home.

Because, yeah guys, I am home right now.

Earlier this evening I got one of those list serv-ey emails telling me classes were cancelled and campus was closed tomorrow too.  And at the point I was just like "screw this town, I miss my brother."  And so I changed my flight, left my roommate a note that said "See ya Sunday night!," hitched a ride to the airport off my friend's roommate, and came home.

And as I was flying into town during the freezing rain, I saw the lights of Anchorage reflected dully in the mudflats and I realized that Fairbanks is not yet home.  I like Anchorage with its ocean and mountains.  I like the fact that it's always really windy near my house.  I like the public library.  I like the way this city smells.

And I like my house.  I like the end pieces of homemade bread left in the bread Tupperware.  I like the way the water tastes.  I like all the clothes I left behind that are sitting there in my closet waiting for me to wear them again.  I like the fact that my house is at a reasonable temperature, and I do not have to open the window even though its 10 degrees outside.*  I like that there are not lots of drunk 18 year olds stumbling up the stairs at one in the morning.  I like the fact that the door is red.

I like college.  It's fun, and I learn things, and my friends are fantastic people.  But I really like being home.  I think I might turn off my phone and my computer for the next six days, and just enjoy being with my family for the first time since August.





*It's not 10 degrees outside right now.  It's some incredibly heat wave-ish 33 degrees.  But the point is that I've left my window open in the dorms when its really cold outside, because they keep the heat up wayyyy to high.

5 comments:

  1. I MISS YOU AND YOUR HOME! But I'm thinking I like this home too. And so this is my plan: be like "this is home" until its not anymore. Good plan? I thought so. And also, crazy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Elika you make me want to go home! :P anyways i didn't get to say goodbye to you so here goes nothing BYE!!!!!!!!!!!! haha see ya when you get back to home number two, with me :D peace and love dude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Banana suit. 'Nough said...

    ReplyDelete
  4. An endearingly honest post, Elika. I'm glad you're doing this blog for just such posts. Keep up the fabulous work.

    ReplyDelete