I have this friend who's a psychology major.* And she's so freaking smart and motivated, and she knows she's going to get her doctorate in psychology. I mean, that's at least 10 years worth of certainty.
Last year I didn't decide where I was going to college until mid-April. Everyone around me knew long before then. They applied to such and such school because of this or that program, and in general they just knew what they were doing. On the other hand, I applied to University of Oregon because their mascot was a duck, Lewis and Clark because in the college guidebook I checked out of the library it said that at L&C "a lot of the students have curly hair and wear bandanas," and UAF because it was further away than UAA.
I am aimless. Have you ever noticed the title of my blog? I am an aspiring... something. Something. I haven't figured it out yet. I work hard, but I don't really have any idea what exactly I am working towards.
And I forget that it's okay to be aimless sometimes. Actually, I forget that a lot of the time. So then I have to remind myself that IT IS OKAY.
It is okay that you can quote practically all of Ella Enchanted,** and that you've seen almost every Vlogbrother video, and that you were the founding member of an anonymous flirting website for your college campus, but you haven't figured out what you want to be when you grow up.
And because I forget this very fact all the time, I wrote myself a letter.
Dear Future Elika,
Do not forget that being aimless and clueless and unsure is okay. As long as you are upholding your morals and generally working towards the betterment of the world, you are doing good. Also, do not forget that libraries are better than bookstores, Converse are better than fancy-pants shoes, and lava lamps are cool.
Sincerely,
Elika at a moment in time where she was remarkably clear-headed
*I promised I would write about her on my blog at some point because I looooooooove her.
**The book, not the movie. Duh.
Last year I didn't decide where I was going to college until mid-April. Everyone around me knew long before then. They applied to such and such school because of this or that program, and in general they just knew what they were doing. On the other hand, I applied to University of Oregon because their mascot was a duck, Lewis and Clark because in the college guidebook I checked out of the library it said that at L&C "a lot of the students have curly hair and wear bandanas," and UAF because it was further away than UAA.
I am aimless. Have you ever noticed the title of my blog? I am an aspiring... something. Something. I haven't figured it out yet. I work hard, but I don't really have any idea what exactly I am working towards.
And I forget that it's okay to be aimless sometimes. Actually, I forget that a lot of the time. So then I have to remind myself that IT IS OKAY.
It is okay that you can quote practically all of Ella Enchanted,** and that you've seen almost every Vlogbrother video, and that you were the founding member of an anonymous flirting website for your college campus, but you haven't figured out what you want to be when you grow up.
And because I forget this very fact all the time, I wrote myself a letter.
Dear Future Elika,
Do not forget that being aimless and clueless and unsure is okay. As long as you are upholding your morals and generally working towards the betterment of the world, you are doing good. Also, do not forget that libraries are better than bookstores, Converse are better than fancy-pants shoes, and lava lamps are cool.
Sincerely,
Elika at a moment in time where she was remarkably clear-headed
*I promised I would write about her on my blog at some point because I looooooooove her.
**The book, not the movie. Duh.
I love your letter to yourself. Just remember that the people who think they know what they're doing are mostly going to change their minds, and those of us who are lost will win in the end.
ReplyDeleteDear Elika,
ReplyDeleteAlso, just remember that 2 floors down, there are two girls who love you to pieces and will never stop caring about you just because you are aimless. Your uncertainty amazes me every day... it's what makes you so different, and also very unique. And while it is true that some people will change and decide they aren't as certain as they thought they were, you will still have that uncertainty that is like a breath of fresh air. You'll figure it out though... no worries :)