Monday, August 9, 2010

A sibling moment


Me: Hi Zayn, I didn’t think up any questions, so this is going to be totally ad libbed.
Zayn: Sounds good.

Me: So, can you tell people who you are?
Zayn: I’m Zayn.
Me: Can you be more specific?
Zayn: Um, well, what else do I need to say?
Me: Um, I don’t know that you’re my brother?
Zayn: I’m Elika’s brother.

Me: That’s good.  So you’re making cookies?
Zayn: No I already made cookies.
Me: Wait, they’re out of the oven?
Zayn: Yeah.
Me: All of them?
Zayn: No, I only made one batch.
Me: So there’s cookie dough in the fridge?
Zayn: Yes, you can go eat the cookie dough in the fridge.

Me: So, I’m going to college soon.  Are you going to miss me?
Zayn: Probably not. Maybe a little.  But I’ll read your blog everyday just to make you happy.
Me: You’ll have to do all my chores.
Zayn: No I’ll argue with Mom and Dad about it.  I’m very good at arguing… You don’t have to put that part in.

Me: So, how’s cross country going?
Zayn: Good.  I think I made it to varsity.
Me: Have you checked the website?
Zayn: Yeah, I was the eighth one.
Me: You realize it’s the first seven that make varsity?
Zayn: Yeah, but you said some people won’t have enough practices!
Me: Where’s practice tomorrow?
Zayn: Kincaid chalet.
Me: Don’t get lost.
Zayn: Oh, actually, I forgot to tell you, everyone thought we got lost ‘cause Nate was like ‘Freshman, do an extra lap!’ So then we got back late, and everyone was like ‘Were you lost?’
Me: Did you say ‘No, I have better directional skills than my sister?’
Zayn: No.  Actually, during the name game where you have to say your name and something important about yourself I said ‘Hi, I’m Zayn, and I’m Elika’s sister.  Oh, and I’m not going to get lost.’  But the important thing was that I’m related to you. 

Zayn: Hey, Elika, what’s that store in the mall that’s called, um, I forget what it’s called.  Actually I have no idea where it is.  But I applied for a job there, and they didn’t hire me.
Me: Orange Julius?
Zayn: No. What?  It’s tropical and yellow. 
Zayn: Hey Elika, is my hair sticking up?
Me: No.  Is is PacSun?
Zayn: YEAH! That’s what I was talking about.  I need to go to PacSun ‘cause Kurtis says there are skinnies there on sale for five dollars.

Me: Can I change the music?
Zayn: I guess, as long as you don’t put on dumb music.
Me: Here let me see your iPod.
Zayn: No!
Me: You just said I could change it!
Zayn: Fine, you can change it… Is that from my iPod?
Me: Yeah, it’s The Shins.
Zayn: Why is this on my iPod?

Me: So, what do you think of my interviewing skills?
Zayn: I think they suck.  A lot.  And you better not leave this part out.

Me: What happened to your knee?
Zayn: I was so tired on Tuesday when I was running I fell down a hill.
Me: You were so tired you fell down a hill?
Zayn: I tripped and then I fell down a hill because I was so tired I couldn’t get back up.

Me: So, are you stoked for high school?
Zayn: No cause I know someone’s gonna trash can me, and someone else is gonna lock me in my locker.  You know I can fit in my locker?  Mom locked me in there.
Me: Aren’t you a little bit tall for your locker?
Zayn: Apparently not, ‘cause I fit.
Me: Are you excited for band?
Zayn: NO!
Me: What about AYS?
Zayn: A little bit.  But still no.  Just not a yelling no.

Zayn: Hey, Elika, you’re in a dream.  See, look, it’s still spinning.
Me: Did you buy that just cause of Inception?
Zayn: Yes!  We were looking for posters cause that would have been awesome.  But we couldn’t find any, but we found these tops for 48 cents.

Me: What’s your favorite book?
Zayn: The book I just finished.  The Lost Conspiracy or whatever.  Actually, I don’t really have a favorite book. 

Zayn: Your music choice sucks.
Me: You don’t like Billy Joel?
Zayn: Oh, this is Billy Joel?  Oh, it sounds like suckish music, not Billy Joel.  If you’re gonna play Billy Joel play good Billy Joel.

Me: Who are you texting?
Zayn: I can’t tell you.
Me: Cause it’s a girl?
Zayn: No, it’s a guy.
Me: Then why can’t you tell me?
Zayn: I dunno.

Me: Do you have a secret girlfriend?
Zayn: No.  Why would I have a secret girlfriend Elika?  That’s the dumbest thing ever.

Zayn: Ah! What is that!? Let’s kill it! [it’s a bug on the wall] Ahh! It’s dead!

Me: What’s your secret girlfriend’s name?
Zayn: I don’t know, let me think of one.  I can’t think of a name for my secret girlfriend.
Me: What about Olga?
Zayn: Who’s Olga? Sounds Russian! I don’t wanna go out with a Russian.  You’re ridiculous.

Me: Can I read your text messages?
Zayn: No.

Zayn: I’m hungry. 
Me: Do you wanna go get some cookies?
Zayn: I guess. Do you wanna go get some cookies?
Me: Yeah, I’m kind of tired of interviewing.
Zayn: Okay. Peace out Elika’s blog readers, which is only Dad and Valerie.
Me: I think more people read my blog than that.
Zayn: And Mom.
Zayn: Man, I wish my hair would stick up.  Is it sticking up yet?
Me: I think we’re done here.

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this. Though somewhat long (if you were going to send it to TIME for an excerpt of your interviewing skills, I'd shorten it, but as a blog I loved it) it accurately captured the awesome relationship between you and your brother. I think you are both very, very awesome. And I really love that you can (sometimes) get along with each other. And I want some of the cookie dough. and...I just love your family.

    And you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I think more people than just me and your dad read this, Zayn. In fact, I'm telling all the people that follow MY blog to read it in my next posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PPS which is still like 3 people, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  4. well I (EMILY) read it... so that makes at least 4. AND I LOVED IT!!! you are and expert interviewer Elika, could definitely be picked up by the washington post or the new york times or where ever else :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Five, actually.

    And, Zayn, I saw that part about arguing.

    .....Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. "No, I have better directional skills than my sister." Hahahaha :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoever Anonymous was, it wasn't mom. THIS is mom, and boy is she MAD!

    Actually not. You made cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i read it on the occasion that i remember you have this amazing blog and i haven't read it in while. haha. this was really funny.

    ReplyDelete