Monday, August 9, 2010

A life plan time capsule

I made this plan mid-March during a Baha'i Intensive in Fairbanks.  It was at the end of a long day of fasting and Ruhi Book 5.  Jamie had to meet up with some coordinators at a coffee shop, and since Valerie and I were staying at her house we tagged along and spent our time drinking hot chocolate and writing life plans down on napkins and talking about the imminent future.


We were mostly daydreaming about how we'd like things to turn out.  But I think we both secretly believed that these plans could be possible.  And if Plan A didn't work out, well then we wrote Plan B* too.

I think it's important to write your life plan down on a napkin and save it.  I think it's important to write your thoughts down period, and then look back on them later.  It's a time capsule of your brain, and things change quickly.  I mean, 5 months ago I was convinced I would end up in Portland rooming with Valerie, studying some humanities-esque degree at a small private college where the students wear too much tie-dye.


*My Plan B involved UAF with Val, graduating and moving to Canada, becoming the editor of a prominent newspaper in Montreal or Toronto, getting married and having three kids, retiring to Italy, and opening a pie shop.

7 comments:

  1. I think this is my favorite post. I think secretly I did believe we could do this. And, with some alterations, I believe we still can. (At least the pie shop bit. And maybe we can get Ted to be our token piemaker. Although we'd actually make the pies. He'd just sit there looking like Lee Pace and wearing clothing that matches the wallpaper.)

    And I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe . . . A time capsule of your soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's surprising, how when we make plans, how often they come true (or through).

    And, how when we don't make plans, they never work out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anonymous (who I'm pretty sure is Mom, but whatevs) What are you talking about? We made these plans and they didn't work out. If you're trying to make a point, I think you're making it in the wrong place...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, THAT was not Mom, THIS is! I'm not anonymous. Anyway, those plans may not have worked out then, but you still have a long life ahead of you. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to afford a TV some day.

    Also, if you live in Montreal, you need to learn French.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oui! Je parl' le'francois! ish...

    ReplyDelete