Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Time to celebrate Fail Week again

I was going to write up a post on all the visiting lecturers I've sat in on over the past several days.  But dammit guys, it's Fail Week 2013 Round 2.  So excuse me while I curl up with my tea and ooze insecurities for a minute.

This is always a horrible time of year, caught up between finishing up applications for summer jobs and internships but not yet knowing what will pan out.  Not to mention, it's the post-spring break you-don't-have-nearly-as-much-time-on-that-semester-long-project-as-you-thought-you-did panic moment.  Factor in my waning interest in work and school, and it's a recipe for a long, consoling shower.

If you're not up on my life, which you most likely aren't considering I've abandoned this blog like a momma leaving her baby in a marshmallow box on an orphanage doorstep, then it would behoove you to know I've been spending a lot of time editing my cover letter to send out again and again for summer internship applications.  So far, this has ended in nothing but form rejection emails.

Guys, can I just move back to Amman?  My beautiful zamilaati are all celebrating spring break eating Arab food together in Texas right now.  And, you know, life was good with those ladies.  I could speak intelligently about international politics and was the star of my Arabic 101 class, sounding out the hard letters like a natural.  Meanwhile in Alaska, I keep up the dance of bad student with good grades that probably makes me one of the most disliked students in the department if the never ending disapproving looks are any indication.

If you've been rejected from any summer jobs this week or experienced any other sort of fail, you qualify to come get tacos with Valerie and I tonight.  Let's make this a real celebration.

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry, sweetheart, rejection hasn't much to do with you. Jobs and internships are all just a numbers game. Something good will fall into your lap soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, anonymous cheerful person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know marshmallows came in a box?

    ReplyDelete