It's the last gasp of the Baha'i new year on this side of the globe.
Naw-Ruz is supposed to be one of those holy days where work is suspended, but I usually ignore this particular part of my religion: there's too much to do and see and think and go.
But stopping for a moment might have done me some good.
For the last 19 days, I fasted and prayed and felt centered by something greater than myself.
Today, I woke up at the last possible moment, grabbed leftovers for breakfast to eat in the back of class and danced through a day of school, work and meetings.
It was just 20 minutes ago that I finally sat down with my laptop in an empty room to think about the last year of my life.
If I could, I'd rewind. And isn't that the cardinal sin of free spirits who Never Regret Anything? But I'm too organized to qualify for that title. And if I could rewind, I would. Through the various continents and oceans and states of distress. I loved Amman. Loved it differently, but loved the feel of it, and I doubt that it is my geographical soulmate--or even that I will go back there for more than a visit someday--but it clued me in that where I am is not. Necessary for the moment; irrelevant for the long term, and the itch to move on gets strong some days.
So I keep reminding myself to slow down.
March is for dreams, April is for dashing them and May is for reality. Spring is for new beginnings and Naw-Ruz is for celebrating. So today, I did.
No comments:
Post a Comment