In the last year and a half, I've gone from living at home, to living at school, to living in a tent, to living in Europe. And lately, I've been filled with a whole lot of questions.
That's really why leaving home is hard. Because when you're surrounded by your best friends and your favorite flannel pillowcase and the soccer field you've been playing frisbee on for a while, it's easy to know who you are. You are exactly who you have been for as long as you can remember.
But in a new place, in a dorm room far from your bedroom, in a tent in the woods, in an apartment in a different country it's harder to know exactly how you fit into the fabric. It's enough to make you reexamine a lot of basic things you thought you knew. To pull up roots you thought were sure to stay firmly in the soil.
I spent my weekend in the countryside. I miss leaves and grass and fresh air.
That's really why leaving home is hard. Because when you're surrounded by your best friends and your favorite flannel pillowcase and the soccer field you've been playing frisbee on for a while, it's easy to know who you are. You are exactly who you have been for as long as you can remember.
But in a new place, in a dorm room far from your bedroom, in a tent in the woods, in an apartment in a different country it's harder to know exactly how you fit into the fabric. It's enough to make you reexamine a lot of basic things you thought you knew. To pull up roots you thought were sure to stay firmly in the soil.
I spent my weekend in the countryside. I miss leaves and grass and fresh air.
so pretty. where did you see the little pink flower?
ReplyDeleteAssisi! It was on one of the alleys we walked along during the walking tour.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! Love it
ReplyDeleteHow beautiful....makes me really miss Italy. Hope you are having a wonderful, wonderful time. By the way, you are a very good writer! Take care and enjoy every minute you're there. A lifetime experience you will never forget. Love ya!
ReplyDeleteSo beautiful.
ReplyDeleteWe need to come visit you.
Who knows, perhaps we could.
{:~))
Nice pics! Agree, being away from home is hard, but perhaps this is how one finds way to their true home! Many remain where they have always been, doing the things they have always done, never wondering or wandering beyond the familiarity of their ideological or geographical grounds. You've done so much before you even turn 20! How lucky you are. But, it is not easy. I understand.
ReplyDelete