Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I love Alaska


I love, love, love mountains. I love the ocean, and the mudflats. I absolutely love lakes, and I love rivers and streams and creeks only slightly less.

I love winter. I love the snow and the cold and the dark. And I love when winter ends, and everything is grey and melting and hopeful. I love the first leaves on the trees. And I love how quickly everything can transition from black and white to color.

And I love mountains. Did I mention that already?

I’m really getting up close and person with my love for Alaska up here this summer. And while I’m discovering a lot of things I don’t love (like clouds of mosquitoes, the inability to fall asleep while 30 sled dogs howl through the night, how hard it is to get out a warm sleeping bag in the morning), mostly I am discovering how many things I do love (like mountains, mountains, and more mountains).

5 comments:

  1. you haven no idea how much i love mountains too! maybe you do, since this post has some serious mountain loving expression. i live in flat idaho now, and i miss mountains so much! i miss alaska and its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an affinity for mountains as well for sure. I want to hike in the Himalayas someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The black spruce trees in your second photo remind me of the saguaro cactus in the Sonoran desert in Arizona, on the US-Mexico border.

    A tribe of silent sentinels
    Marching down the hills
    To greet us
    In the morning haze.

    {:~))

    ReplyDelete
  4. The universe is
    That's it, for the most part.
    No passion, no drama
    It just is, that's all.

    But, one small part,
    In a remote corner
    Is amazing––
    Miraculous

    Our bodies & brains
    Work together
    To create our minds
    Birth our spirits

    Along the way we
    Find beauty and joy
    Amid all this
    Splendid indifference.

    {:o))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love YOU more than you love mountains. Which is saying something, because I love mountains too and beauty and Alaska and being home! But mostly you.

    ReplyDelete