I'm home. But I wouldn't necessarily call it home anymore.
I've been all moved out and independent for more than six months now. And I'm the same not-thinking-before-you-speak-and-tripping-over-sunshine type of girl I have always been. But I'm also sort of growing up.
I'm figuring things out. I know where I'm working this summer and where I'm going next year. I'm finding what I'm good at and what I want to study in school. I'm discovering my identity, and I like who I'm becoming.
I've been back to Anchorage 4 times since August. At Thanksgiving, I was happy to be back because I just missed home. At winter break, I was happy to be back because I was not liking school at all. This time and last time? I'm just happy to get food from someplace other than the Tilly. Seriously. I have dreams about fresh produce. Like basil. I have been thinking about basil all week.
This house in this city is not really my home anymore. It's where my family lives, and it's familiar. But it's not where I live. And UAF is not home. Because school is not home.
I'm homeless! But I'm happy.
I've been all moved out and independent for more than six months now. And I'm the same not-thinking-before-you-speak-and-tripping-over-sunshine type of girl I have always been. But I'm also sort of growing up.
I'm figuring things out. I know where I'm working this summer and where I'm going next year. I'm finding what I'm good at and what I want to study in school. I'm discovering my identity, and I like who I'm becoming.
I've been back to Anchorage 4 times since August. At Thanksgiving, I was happy to be back because I just missed home. At winter break, I was happy to be back because I was not liking school at all. This time and last time? I'm just happy to get food from someplace other than the Tilly. Seriously. I have dreams about fresh produce. Like basil. I have been thinking about basil all week.
This house in this city is not really my home anymore. It's where my family lives, and it's familiar. But it's not where I live. And UAF is not home. Because school is not home.
I'm homeless! But I'm happy.
Sister Turtle sez . . .
ReplyDeleteBe at home
Wherever you go
okay this sounds really cheesy, but i am a firm believer in "home is where the heart is". i didn't really realize it until after i got married. and i definitely agree. school is not home. that's one place where your heart can't be, i guess haha.
ReplyDelete