So, I bet you're wondering what happened.
Well, the week leading up to this I was super incredibly out of my mind nervous. But the day of I was relatively calm. I ate a banana. I listened to "Under Pressure" (eating bananas and listening to "Under Pressure" are my pre-audition/performace routine). And then I went downtown. I goofed off backstage with the cellist who performed before me. And then I went on.
And honestly, I don't remember it. It's a big giant blur. I know that I was nervous at the beginning, but I didn't trip on the opening. And the rest of it doesn't really stick out in my mind. Which is a major bummer, because after watching this video, I know that I did really well. But after the performance I just accepted everyone's congratulations without knowing if I deserved it or not.
About that: after I played everyone was like "GOOD JOB." And I was like "THANKS." I mean, I'm a gracious oboist. But there were only a few congrats that actually meant anything. My best friend who told me I was amazing. She's the type to tell you when you're published poem is lacking punctuation, so when she said I played well I knew I did. The oboe player in the orchestra. When she said good job, that was definitely a major highlight. She's really good! A lot of the reason I was nervous is because I knew she was listening. My friend who plays the oboe, who told me I was her hero. And my Mom. But only after she said she was surprised I won the competition to begin with because my audition wasn't all that great (it wasn't). But then she said I did really well at the actual performance.
I want to say THANK YOU* to everyone who came and watched me. And thank you to everyone who's ever supported me in my oboe playing for the past seven years. And thanks to those who wanted to come, but couldn't because of Model UN/State Skiing/busy lives/geography.
*Also, thank you to everyone who's taken my poll! 8 WHOLE PEOPLE. From what I can gather, the footnotes are enjoyable, but excessive? Leave a comment if I'm wrong (or right).
Good job Dudette, but what's with this post -- No Flippin' Footnotes !? !? !?
ReplyDeleteYes, but you know my compliment was genuine, because even though I AM your mom, I'm always pretty frank. That's why I said I was surprised you won, but that you played amazingly! I do believe I said that was the best you even played it. You rose to the occassion! So I am very, very, incredibly proud of you. And that's the truth.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I loved being able to give you flowers. I've always wanted to do that :)
@Anonymous
ReplyDeleteSo, you're either talking about the fact that there are no footnotes on this post (which there are) or a post called "No Flippin' Footnotes" which doesn't exist. So, I don't really know what you're talking about.
~ I'm going to follow the advice of my newest book and begin by saying thanks for your hard work and effort! Nicely done!!! This is the culmination of seven years of hard work and practice. You nailed it, and then some. Now back to work!?!
ReplyDelete