Monday, February 25, 2013

Fun Sundays

Today was a fun Sunday.  At one point there were seven people hanging out not getting things done in the newsroom at the same time.  I actually think about half the staff dropped by throughout the course of the day.

I'm getting into this editor thing.  The staff is great, the paper is consistent and the publication errors are still there, but dammit guys with only two people on typo-catching duty they're always going to be there.  So really.  You can stop storming angrily into the office and bothering the ad manager now.  My office hours are clearly listed on the door.

Of course, I'm getting it now that I'm two-thirds of the way through my year as editor.  And not that I want to do this for longer, because 1. I miss weekends and 2. I like being responsible for just myself, not a legion of procrastinators.  But I like the independence of this position.  I like being around to help freelancers with their work and watch them figure out what they're doing.  I like the last few thing's Brady's written for his column. I like the new cover.  I like Danny's layout of the page with the engineering arch story on it this week.

Life is just so much better now that I've figured out how to do my job.  Can I just keep repeating that?  So much better, so much better, so much better.

(Disclaimer: Editorials are not better.  I am really tired of writing editorials.  I just don't have 500 words worth of opinions I want to print in the paper every week.  And sometimes I am home alone on Friday nights with 16 tabs open on my browser and it is just a struggle fest.)

The last two weeks were a little rough, but midterms always are.  And there was no mental breakdown like last semester, there was only militant to-do list making and finishing (guys, I am a machine. A really personable, vivacious machine who just GETS STUFF DONE*).

Anyway, Tuesday's cover is great.  My homework is done.  For the first time in two weeks I can actually shower during my 11:30 to 1 p.m. break tomorrow instead of run errands.  My editorial is really cheesy, but the rest of the paper is fairly decent.  And I am going to bed.

 

*Is this what growing up feels like?

No comments:

Post a Comment