Sunday, February 26, 2012

Ayyam-i-ha in Amman

Today marks the beginning of the Baha'i celebration, Ayyam-i-ha.  The Baha'i calendar is 19 months of 19 days, which leaves 4 days (5 on a leap year) left over to line up with the solar calendar.  The days of Ayyam-i-ha are generally spent eating, celebrating, and gift-giving before the 19 day Baha'i fast starts.

I went to an Ayyam-i-ha party tonight, which ended up being fabulous amounts of fun and also sort of I-have-no-idea-what's-being-said awkward.  It was sort of like going to Feast in one of those all Persian Baha'i communities in Los Angeles.  Everyone is so nice to you, but honestly you have no idea what's going on.  Mostly, though, tonight was so much fun!!!  I ate delicious food, played games, made new friends, mispronounced things.  The usual.

This time of the year is such a wonderful time for Baha'is, and since I can't be in Alaska with my family I'm glad that I'm kind of finding a place here.  It has definitely been a year of ups and downs, and I'm finally settling into my grove in Amman, Jordan of all places.  I was sort of dreading fasting alone in a foreign country, but now I'm starting to look forward to it.  And I am especially excited to observe the Baha'i fast in a society where religion permeates every part of life.  Also because the call to prayer will serve as my sunrise and sunset calls!

On that extremely positive note, I'll leave you with a really long exposure picture I took from my rooftop around sunset the other day.  Ma assalama!

2 comments:

  1. Cool tonalities -- everything is the same, harmonious palate except the yellow-green lights. Reminds me of those B&W photos with only one piece of color that you and Zayn experimented with a while back. {:~))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man you get around! You went to a Baha'i feast in LA?*

    ReplyDelete